Alberto El Patron (formerly Alberto Del Rio in WWE) has been involved in a lawsuit with an MMA company that he says stiffed him on pay. Alberto filed the suit for breach of contract in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York against Combate Global, LLC. He says he is owed upwards of $250,000 after a fight with Tito Ortiz.

Amid the lawsuit, Alberto Del Rio said his MMA career is over. He has recently been getting back into the pro wrestling business. His history of controversial behavior has caused the major promotions in the US to largely stay away.

Despite his professional troubles, a judge ruled on July 26 that the Alberto vs Combate Global lawsuit can move forward. Some technicalities need to be addressed, but Alberto has time to make the changes needed. Mike Johnson of PW Insider reported on the latest.

“The United States District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled on 7/26 that the Alberto el Patron vs. Combate Global lawsuit will move forward, but has terminated parent company Combate Global Holdco, Inc. from lawsuit, leading Combat Global LLC as the lone defendant going forward.

Due to Holdco being terminated, Alberto had been ordered to file a second amended lawsuit by 8/9.”

Now that the case has the go-ahead, Alberto can focus on getting this lengthy legal nightmare out of the way. Time will tell if the courts rule in his favor. They do believe that the case has enough merit to go to trial.

What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments!

Michael Perry

Michael Perry is a news contributor for Ringside News and Thirsty for News. Michael has an M.A. in Communication Technology from Point Park University in his hometown of Pittsburgh, PA.

Disqus Comments Loading...