Travis Scott found himself in hot water after his Astroworld debacle. The rapper is facing billions dollars worth of lawsuits for his actions during the concert. Following the disaster, he’s being replaced as the festival’s headliner.
According to Variety, sources told the outlet that both Billie Eilish and Ye are set to headline Saturday and Sunday night. They also reported Three Six Mafia are on the list of performances but wouldn’t confirm them as the festival’s third headliner.
The 44-year old Ye previously headlined the festival back in 2011. A successful Coachella hasn’t taken place since 2019, with both 2020 and 2021 iteration of the festival being cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The concern for Omicron forcing a cancellation is still there.
The 2022 festival is already sold out and is all set to take over the weekends of April 15-17 and April 22-24. It will reportedly happen at the Empire Polo Ground in Indio, California. Travis Scott was reportedly removed from the lineup in Dec. 2021 after his deadly Astroworld concert which took lives of 10 people and caused injuries to over 300 people.
Sources told Variety, Scott’s agent fought hard to keep him on the bill, especially considering the close relationship between Kanye and Travis. However, the organizers were firm in their decision.
Scott has been hit with multiple lawsuits since the festival, with over 2800 alleged victims seeking billions in damages. Scott addressed the blowback in Dec. when he sat for an interview with Charlamagne Tha God. He expressed his sympathy but denied he knew how bad things were during the performance.
What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments.