Nicki Minaj’s husband Kenneth Petty was previously charged with failing to register as a sex offender when he moved from New York to California with Minaj. Due to a 1995 conviction for first-degree attempted rape, Petty was required by the court to register whenever he moves. He was arrested when he was 16 years old, and the alleged victim was also 16 years old at the time.
Prosecutors accused him of forcing the girl to have intercourse with a sharp item. He was sentenced to four years in prison. Petty has reached an agreement with prosecutors to postpone his sentencing from January 24 until March 30, 2021, according to court records acquired by Radar.
He will have to wait until March to find out if he will be sent back to prison. Petty agreed to a plea deal with the government in March as part of his federal case for failing to register as a sex offender. He filed a not guilty plea, and prosecutors decided to suggest a less severe sentence to the court.
Petty said he plans to submit an expert report prior to sentencing to argue for no jail time as part of his request to postpone the sentencing. Minaj’s husband faces a mandatory minimum term of 5 years supervised release, although he might also serve some time in prison.
Petty & Minaj are also dealing with a civil lawsuit brought by the alleged victim Jennifer Hough. She accuses them of being adamant in their efforts to get her to retract her earlier claims. She said in court that the couple had sent colleagues to her house to put pressure on her.
Hough also claims that Minaj personally phoned her and offered her a monetary settlement if she would recant, but she declined. The case against Minaj and Petty has been dismissed.