Henry Ruggs was officially charged for his role in last week’s fatal DUI vehicle crash. Prosecutors said after the court hearing on Wednesday that the former Las Vegas Raiders wideout could be locked up for more than fifty years if all the charges against him stick.
Ruggs was not present at the hearing. Instead, he was represented by his attorneys. A plea was not entered by the defense team on Ruggs’ behalf. Fox 23 Vegas reporter Hector Mejia took comments from District Attorney Steve Wolfson after the hearing and shared their words on Twitter.
“@ClarkCountyNV DA Steve Wolfson comments on the prosecution’s decision to file extra charges against Ruggs. If convicted, Ruggs can’t get probation. It must be a prison sentence, according to Wolfson.”
David Chesnoff, the attorney for Ruggs, urged the public not to pre-judge the case. He additionally requested access to the medical records of Ruggs’ girlfriend, who was a passenger at the time of the accident. The judge said it was an unusual request. A decision will be announced with regard to the records on December 8th.
Ruggs was allegedly traveling at 156 miles per hour while under the influence of alcohol at the time of the deadly wreck. Video taken at the scene showed a fiery nightmare as Ruggs wailed in the street. His next court hearing has been set for December.
What’s your take on this story? Sound off in the comments!