A 20-year-old Tufts University lacrosse player has died after choking during a hot dog eating contest. Madelyn Nicpon passed away on Sunday after falling unconscious at the event. Nicpon was a junior for the Tufts lacrosse team.

The Westchester Journal News reported on the accident, which occurred over the weekend. Nicpon passed away in the Massachusetts General Hospital one day after she became unresponsive during the charity eating contest.

The team’s Instagram posted a tribute to their fallen teammate. With over 34,000 likes, the post received an outpouring of support and grief after the horrible incident.

We are beyond heartbroken to share the news of the passing of junior Madie Nicpon — “Scooter”.

Scooter was a true friend and teammate. She truly valued her relationships with her teammates and coaches. Her reach was far beyond our team — she was a true connector on campus and touched every single person she met.

She has and will continue to inspire us every day. We should all strive to live life a little bit more like Scooter did — a person that valued love, loyalty, compassion and friendship.

Please keep the Nicpon family in your thoughts and consider donating to the GoFundMe in our bio.

“True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never at heart.”

We love you, Scooter. Keep dancing from above.

Nicpon received playing time in games during her first and second year with Tufts. She was expected to be a major contributor to the team this season.

Thousands of Tufts students poured onto the campus to pay tribute to Madie Nicpon on Sunday evening. They displayed her lacrosse jersey, surrounded by candles and personal remembrances.

What do you think about this story? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Michael Perry

Michael Perry is a news contributor for Ringside News and Thirsty for News. Michael has an M.A. in Communication Technology from Point Park University in his hometown of Pittsburgh, PA.

Disqus Comments Loading...